Audio-Visual Copyright Society Limited trading as Screenrights of Level 1, 140 Myrtle Street, Chippendale, NSW 2008 (ABN 76 003 912 310) (Screenrights) understands the importance of privacy to the public, including its members, users of the Screenrights website at www.screenrights.org, the MyScreenrights Portal at https://my.screenrights.org and any other websites (each a Website, collectively the Websites), applications, products and services that Screenrights operates (each a Service, collectively the Services).
Screenrights will only collect and use your Personal Information for the primary purposes for which it was collected it (and related purposes which would be reasonably expected by you).
Screenrights collects Personal Information relating to rightsholders, licensees, media industry professionals and participants and Website and other Service users as part of the normal course of its business.
Generally, where possible, Screenrights will collect Personal Information directly from you or from persons you have authorised to provide information to us about you. Should you wish to remain completely anonymous, do not log into a Website as you will have identified yourself in doing so and do not provide us with any information that may identify you. Where possible, Screenrights will allow you to use a pseudonym when contributing to our Websites.
In general, the Personal Information that Screenrights collects includes (but is not limited to):
- personal details, eg names, contact details (including phone numbers and postal address and email addresses);
- financial information (including your bank account details for electronic funds transfer payments);
- programs you are registered for and related entitlement information; and
- details regarding your relevant memberships or participating in associations and details of relevant licence schemes.
Such information may be collected directly from you, for example, in the process of membership and Service enquiries, membership and Service applications, Website user enquiries, Website user registrations, use of Websites, email correspondence, notes taken by Screenrights staff of telephone and face-to-face meetings and surveys undertaken by Screenrights or a third party on its behalf for the purposes of gathering user experience information in order to improve our Services and through your interactions with Screenrights which may include entering competitions and through social media.
Sometimes Screenrights may also collect Personal Information such as contact information and entitlement information from third parties such as other rightsholders or a publicly available sourcebut only if the individual has consented to such collection or would reasonably expect us to collect their Personal Information in this way. This is done for the sole purpose of assisting Screenrights to identify and pay the correct rightsholders, including identifying prospective members with an entitlement to payment. In limited circumstances, you may provide us with documents containing Personal Information of other individuals and we will assume that you have obtained that other individual’s consent to provide that information to Screenrights.
Screenrights only collects Personal Information for purposes that are related to Screenrights business purposes and only when it is necessary for or directly related to such purposes, which include (without limitation):
- Providing and administering the Services;
- Collecting and distributing payments for use of copyright materials;
- Identifying and locating rights holders;
- Confirming payment share entitlements;
- Assisting members to resolve disputes over entitlements to Screenrights royalties;
- Providing information on the use of copyright material to rightsholders and licensees; and
- Collecting and distributing funds as a disbursement administration service.
Apart from any Personal Information that you provide to Screenrights, Screenrights may use technologies to collect technical information and general analytics through our Websites. Screenrights may gather information about you through the use of technologies such as cookies, log files, web beacons and other technologies on our Websites, which may include the following information:
- the date and time of your visit to our Websites;
- the pages you access;
- the content, including videos and documents that you view or download;
- your browser type;
- searches you perform on the Websites;
- your servers Internet Protocol (IP) address; and
- if you have been referred to the Websites from another website, the address of the referring website.
In relation to the information logged and cookies referred to above, Screenrights gathers such information to monitor usage of our Websites and to understand the Websites use and relevance. This enables us to improve and enhance the Websites, to make the Websites more user-friendly and to make the Websites more relevant to users.
From time to time, Screenrights engages independent contractors to perform analytics and related services and in such cases will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that contracts with such independent contractors include an obligation to comply with the Privacy Act.
Additionally, Screenrights may use also use suppliers who also set cookies on our Websites on our behalf in order to deliver the services that they are providing. For example, if Screenrights embeds photos and video content from third party content platforms on the Websites, those third parties may have set cookies relating to that content. If you then share that content, another third party cookie may be set by the service you have chosen to share content through. Screenrights does not control these cookies, and does not block cookies set by third parties in these ways.
Screenrights will only use Personal Information for the purposes for which it was given to us, or for purposes that are directly related to one of our functions or activities.
Screenrights may use and disclose your Personal Information in order to:
- provide Services to you and to improve the Services that it offers generally;
- contact you in relation to the Services we offer , including to advise you of any issues relating to programs in which you have or may have a copyright or payment interest; and
- inform you of upcoming events and other sites or publications which we reasonably believe may be of interest to you;
- to help it assess and survey the ways in which users use the Services. To the extent that it is reasonably practicable, this information will be de-identified so that you are not personally identifiable in the results of any such assessment or survey;
- to process payments or make royalty or disbursement payments to you.
Screenrights will not sell, share, rent or receive payment for licensing or disclosing your Personal Information.
Screenrights may, from time to time, send direct marketing material to you (either through mail, SMS or email) where you have consented for us to do so. Marketing material may include newsletter and information about our activities. If you do not wish to receive this information, you can let Screenrights know by unsubscribing as described below. This does not apply to information that Screenrights is legally required to send or information regarding the rights or obligations of its members.
Depending on the Service that you have requested or otherwise engaged with, your Personal Information may be disclosed to:
- External service providers who assist us in providing and administering the Services, competitions, events and promotions, including third party service suppliers, contractors and data storage providers;
- Overseas and local collecting societies that collect and distribute royalties for film and related rights and with which Screenrights has reciprocal arrangements;
- Specialist advisers who have been engaged to provide Screenrights with legal, administrative, financial, insurance, research, marketing or other services;
- Other rightsholders, their agents, external mediators or experts for the purpose of resolving or assisting in the resolution of disputes between members in accordance with the Screenrights membership agreement;
- Third party research companies to conduct surveys about Screenrights Services to you. Participation in such surveys is optional;
- Independent auditors engaged to audit Screenrights operational practices; and
- Any other person authorised by you or specified by you, such as your agent or manager.
There will, of course, be times when it will be necessary for Screenrights to disclose your Personal Information to third parties without your consent. For instance, where it is required or authorised to do so by law, law enforcement bodies or otherwise permitted by law under APP
Your information may be transferred to and stored in locations outside of Australia, including countries that may not have the same level of protection for personal information. These recipients are likely to be located in United States, India, and Luxembourg. When we do this, we’ll ensure it has an appropriate level of protection and that the transfer is lawful. Where we believe that the laws of an overseas country do not protect personal information in a way that is at least substantially similar to the protection afforded under Australian privacy laws, we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the overseas recipients in that country do not breach Australian privacy laws in relation to the personal information we provide to them and they hold. In some situations, overseas recipients may be required to disclose information which we share with them under a foreign law. Where this occurs, we will not be responsible for such disclosure, though we will take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected. In some countries the law might compel us to share certain information, e.g. with tax authorities. Even in these cases, we’ll only share your information with people who have the right to see it.
You can obtain more details of the protection given to your information when it’s transferred outside of Australia by contacting us using the details in the ‘Contact us’ section below.
Screenrights takes all reasonable steps to protect your Personal Information from loss, unauthorised access, modification, disclosure or other misuse. This includes: using electronic access restrictions for electronic files that contain Personal Information, securing paper files containing Personal Information and physical access restrictions to files containing Personal Information. Where Screenrights stores your Personal Information with a third party data storage provider, we require them to keep it secure and only use or disclose it for the purpose for which it was provided.
You have a number of rights in relation to the information that we hold about you, including:
- the right to access information we hold about you and to obtain information about how we process it;
- the right to request that we rectify your information if it’s inaccurate or incomplete;
- in some cases, the right to object to and/or to request that we restrict, our processing of your information; and
We will take reasonable steps to correct your personal information if we agree it is incorrect. If we don’t correct it, we will in most cases tell you why, unless there is a legal reason not to.
There may be situations and local law requirements where you request access to, object to, or ask us to restrict, our processing of your information but we’re entitled to continue processing your information and / or to refuse that request. Where this is the case, we will (unless there is a legal reason not to) tell you why. We will only provide access to information where we have fully verified your identity. We will also let you know if we need to charge you a fee for processing any request to access your information. You can exercise your rights by contacting us using the details set out in the ‘Contact us’ section below.
Screenrights may, from time to time, send direct marketing communications to you about its activities and other material that it considers you would find useful.
You may opt-out of receiving direct marketing communications at any time by contacting us or by using opt-out facilities provided in the direct marketing communications.
If you choose opt out of all direct marketing communications, please note that Screenrights may still contact you for other reasonable purposes, including information that Screenrights is legally required to send and information regarding the rights, benefits or obligations of users of Services.
If you’d like further information on anything we’ve said in this Privacy Notice, please contact the Screenrights Privacy Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org, by telephone: +61 2 8038 1300 or by writing to: The Privacy Officer, Screenrights, PO Box 853, Broadway NSW 2007 Australia.
If you believe we have not complied with Australian privacy laws or you have a complaint about the way in which we handled your personal information, you can contact Screenrights Privacy Officer using the contact details set out in the ‘Contact us’ section below.
Any complaint about handling of personal information will be dealt with in accordance with the following Screenrights Privacy Complaints Handling Procedure:
- If you think that an act or practice of Screenrights has interfered with your privacy rights, you may make a complaint to Screenrights as identified above.
- The complaint must identify you and be in written form and addressed to Screenrights Privacy Officer.
- Screenrights’ Privacy Officer will investigate your complaint and will endeavor to provide a response setting out Screenrights decision in writing within 30 days of receipt of your complaint.
If Screenrights is unable to satisfactorily resolve your concerns, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at Home – Home (oaic.gov.au) , by telephone: 1300 363 992 or by writing to:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Version 1.4, updated March 2023