With a Screenrights licence, educational institutions in Australia can copy any program broadcast on TV or radio to use for educational purposes in the classroom (including remote learning).
Under the Australian Copyright Act, educational institutions can copy and communicate programs from television and radio, provided they enter an agreement with Screenrights and pay a licence fee.
Screenrights licenses schools, TAFEs and universities to copy from television and radio, and to put copied programs on an intranet, email them and manage them using a digital system such as Blackboard or Moodle. Our licences cover most schools, all Australian universities and many TAFEs. The licence also allows you to access content copied from television or radio by third party services, such as Clickview, TV4Education and InfoRMIT.
If you are unsure as to whether your institution is licensed, please contact us.
With a Screenrights licence you can copy:
- Any program – including movies, current affairs, documentaries, news
- Any amount – copy five minutes or an entire drama, make one copy or 20, it’s up to you
- Anywhere – make copies at home or in your library
- From any channel – copy from free to air TV, pay TV or radio
- From free to air broadcasters’ websites or the broadcasters’ official YouTube channels – copy broadcast material made available online by the broadcaster including podcasts and vodcasts or catchup TV
- From online simulcasts of broadcasts – including online radio
- In any format – copy or download and store digital copies on a hard drive or other devices
- From old copies – update your DVD (or VHS) copies by putting them in digital format
And make the following uses of your copies:
- Show them in class
- Keep them in the library as an ongoing resource
- Store them on a network for staff and students
- Email them to staff and students
- Show them on an electronic whiteboard
Access programs anywhere, anytime with resource centres. Screenrights licenses third parties to make the copies for you, and to stream them to you. Services are available from Clickview, TV4Education, InfoRMIT and more.
Got a question?
Visit our FAQ page or contact us.